Monday, September 28, 2009

A pendulum of great vibes, swinging in the yield of Spring.

Happy Anniversary Quig and Charlie! Ten years, solid. <3

In the transition of Spring, I have returned from yet another great weekend adventuring. Saturday was a day of immense rain. I thought the windows were going to cave in. I can successfully say that I spent the entire day reading and catching up on some homework, even though that’s all I feel like I do during the week. Oh, well.

Although, Earth Dance was all weekend (25-27) we could only make it Saturday night into Sunday. Fighting the rain and the clouds on our back, we drove from Cape Town, through a carbon dioxide tunnel and into what some claim as another realm. “The light at the end of the tunnel” did actually emerge between conversations and the warmth of each other crammed into Shale’s Toyota. Arriving around roughly, 11 p.m. our wrists were wrapped in a kool-aid blue bracelet at the entrance, searched for glass bottles (Earth Dance supports and actively promotes the idea of an eco-friendly environment which consequently linked to my International Politics lecture today). Amidst the rain and the copious amounts of strangers that collaborate in the dark, storm fronted campsite, the energy that was leaking from the transmissive beats, bass tones, and subtleties of trance music was a kinetically charged quantum.

Those times when you feel confused or lost or numb you have to remember that there are layers of yourself you haven’t hit yet- a metaphorical onion- sure there are going to be parts of yourself that you are going to be upset over, but the other layers unravel in a versatility unimaginable. Be an onion, even if you are stinky sometimes- it’s always worth it in the end.

Sadly, I was experiencing a piercing and idling migraine where my eyes felt so swollen and sensitive that I was succumbed to the tent the entire night. I took comfort in the fact that the next day was going to be a crazy connection with others and a time of spiritual realization. And to my relief, it was. A lot of people carry stereotypes about trance music and what it represents, claiming that it is too “repetitive” or that it all sounds the same. That’s the thing; many don’t take enough time to pick it apart. It’s the type of music that makes you think and ties in with the layering idea. Trance music represents that idea perfectly. Once you take the time to pick apart the different sound layers you hear the deconstructed messages strategically placed within the tracks and it literally puts you in a state of mind where you find that core of yourself. It makes you move and feel its presence right away, gunning your knees forward or making connections with perfect strangers whom you woke up that morning not knowing of their existence yet you stand lost in a crowd and this relationship that carries as strong of a bond as you would have with a decade long friend.

We woke up around 7 am with all our concentration going towards the dance floor. Missioning over with a beer in hand and some water in the other the dance party started. Before I knew it, it was noon and we had been dancing for 5 hours, but once you get lost into that realm, it is very difficult to break away. We eventually did find ourselves quite on the hungry side and venturing back to the camp to make some fruit salad. And then back again for more dancing.

Overall, the trance party was more than I what I thought it was going to be. Even though my mind was pretty open to anything that came along, there were still something’s that I still thought that would “define” trance. And I find myself, after returning home still struggling to really give a “definition” of trance or the essence that it carries. Almost emulating a religion, the type of following is devote, worshipping and carries a sense of pride. As I am fully embracing, everything is contextual- so of course, what I find exciting and alluring may or may not seem such that way to others. So let it be known, that this is my opinion and in no way should anyone take it as a matter of fact.

As another week molds into the concrete shape of work and seriousness, I am demonized by papers, reading, research and gasp! more writing. I am destined to go hiking this weekend; the forecast has already promised me good weather so if it does not follow through, I will be upset. Ahh.

I’ve posted the good pictures of Earth Dance on facebook, so if you aren’t on facebook, feel free to e-mail me so I can pass some along. I’m trying to conserve bandwidth.

Cheerio!
Mel

No comments:

Post a Comment