Tuesday, September 8, 2009

08/09/2009

I leave for Afrika Burn tomorrow morning, with only what I can carry in my JanSport, a sleeping bag and a tent. I haven’t updated in about two weeks—so let me try and recall what I have been doing.

1. I shaved my head, in the sake of redefining beauty, liberation and for a journalism project.
2. I have learned that you can’t depend on anything but who you are and what you want to become, in order to be happy.
3. I’ve done a lot of cooking the last two weeks- concoctions with avos, tomatoes, cheese, eggs (sometimes, always whites) and some bread.
4. I’ve been trying to get out more- to see more things. I’ve been using my camera a lot more lately, going out specifically to take nice shots and learning how to edit them. Another aspect of journalism that keeps my creative juices soaring.
5. I’m learning more about myself than I ever thought was possible.

After I got my head shaved ( which when I get home, I have a great video of it all ) we ventured in Obz to try and find cool places to hang out in. We discovered some interesting used book stores, the first second hand clothing shop I’ve seen, bunches of java junctions and cafes- If you’re from Albany, Obz is like Lark St., minus Bomber’s and The Shining Star). I encountered this really great find, called Ska, apparently a chain hippie style-clothing store in Obz as well as on Long St. After shaving my head, which the woman who did the deed was fascinated that I wasn’t intoxicated and that I had a legitimate reason for doing it—I found some great head scarf’s at Ska that help my already existing Bohemian-isk style. With some expectation, I did not get the greatest of reactions for cutting it all off, but mostly and what surprised me the most was when girls from my lectures who had seen my hair the length it was before to now, would come up to me and tell me how much they admired what I did and which they could pull it off or have the courage to part with it. I heard rumor that something along those lines happens, but I was utterly shocked when someone actually did approach me—all in all, I think about ten girls complimented me. Which proved my point a little bit more. And it made me feel that every woman really should just shave it all off- it’s such liberation a sense of who you are and a fail proof people filter. Autumn was 100% right when she told me that you’ll get the people that are interested in you not just for how you look, but for what you have to say. I’ve been meeting more interesting people in the last two weeks and the perspective I have now, has revolutionized whatever I thought before.

I went to The Assembly at some point in the last two weeks. It’s a local art/music/bar venue where cool upcoming bands play and you can dance or sit and chill. One of my favorite Friday/Saturday night places because the drinks are cheap and the music is always pretty decent. The last time we went, The Toxic Avengers were playing and it was a sweat fest. I’ve never danced so intensely where my clothes felt like the were embedded into my skin- and I only had 1 drink the entire time so I knew it wasn’t because I was drunk, it was because the music was making me move and dance and feel their vibes. I love how music can bring people together on so many interesting and creative levels.

I went to the Townships again. I saw District 9. I found a park. And I found my favorite place on UCT to sunbathe between classes. And realized that I can go the entire day at UCT without shoes on, gorgeous.

This week at my tutoring section it was a shame, my entire section which was sports didn’t show up. I was bummed to say the least, but I helped out the other sections and kind of just floated. One of our learneres, Thumeka Hoga handed us her poems that she copied for us so that we can publish them in our home papers. Her insight is amazing for her age. Her style and even her structure is so advanced for having no formal education in language or poetry.

This is just one of the ones she handed me, one of my favorites:

You’ll Never Know

You’ll never know how strong is a tea bag
Until you put it in hot tea water.
You’ll never know…
The scent of a rose,
Until you smell or crush it.
You’ll never know
If you are doing it overdone,
Until you are told.
You’ll never know
How beautiful is gold,
Until you burn the dirty rock,
Which holds the element.
You’ll never know
If you head won’t crush
And if you become a solider
You’ll never know
How if feels to be a corpse,
Until you die.
You’ll never know
How it is to be a liar,
Until you lie
You’ll never know
How it is to be him
Until you fit in his shoes.
You’ll never know…

Her insight has left me completely stunned as I read these poems on my couch. I was just aside from myself. I used to write a lot of poetry when I was her age and my notebooks contain nothing his profound and she reminds me of myself and I guess this where I begin to feel age kicking in. So real.

What her poems say to me is that she is just a lost in life as everyone else and that you can’t know anything until you are in the exact moment- making you never judge anyone or anything until you’ve been there.

Going back two weeks is kind of a lot of time to recall everything, which means I should write more in order to remember but I’ve been taking some time away from everything and concentrating on just what needs to get done.

The sun is shining right now, which is good because it’s been a stream of fierce rain the last two days, a great kick off to spring break! Haha.

I will have tons to write on in Afrika Burns, which you can just Google in order to find more about it. It should be one of the best times that I will have while I’m here, or at least that’s what I’m hoping. In December, I’m planning a road trip in the Garden Route in order to go bungee jumping and make friend with some elephants.

You know you’re in Z.A. when you walk out of the coffee place on campus and there is a baboon perched on top the rubbish bins, eating away in glory and instilling fear on every student that sees him. Clusters of people were circled around this almost invisible fence between themselves and the baboon—watching in amazement as he eats our old banana peels and crisp bags.
I discovered the V&A Waterfront, had some coffee, shopped a bit… Yesterday we went to the Canal Walk, the best mall in CT. We were on a mission for a sleeping bag and tent for Afrika Burn but needless to say, we couldn’t afford to get all of it, but luckily our friend Shale was nice enough to lend us his sleeping bags and tent for the week. Without that it would have been tight budget to get the equipment. There are going to a lot of outdoor parties and braais from here on until May because it’s starting to get warmer and people are starting to get as stir crazy as we get in Upstate in March. The entire city is getting ready for the World Cup so most of the highways and commercial looking buildings are under construction and it makes you think about proud this country is for having visitors. They are very hospitable and very welcoming to people who come and appreciate Zud Afrika for what it truly is and for what is had to offer in the world.

They are right when they say that it takes almost three months to feel home. And it’s starting to get that way but at the same time, I also am starting to discover even more of this country and the beauty is that you never really stop discovering, no matter where you are or what you decide to do with your life.

Wish me luck in the desert!

Cheers.
Mel

No comments:

Post a Comment