Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Assimilation of the absent minded.

25.08/2009
Assimilation has been on my mind lately. Different cultures require different standards, expectations and ideals. I carry on here day to day, doing pretty much the same things that I do in New York- waking up, usually after 5 snoozes on my alarm, grudgingly going into the shower, heading to class, absorbing massive amounts of information, being overwhelmed, walking back from class feeling confused about life, questioning where or who I am, thinking what I should have for dinner, going for my nightly run, finishing my work out, eating what I thought of about eating, and studying until sleep takes over- and so the cycle beings once again.

The thing about life that I love the most is that it is yours and that you have the ability and the tenacity to change it at your will. So back to assimilation—what will make me more South African? Will it be how I say things, using slang, adhering to the accent…? Will it be what I begin to eat? How I dress? What I do on my free time? I don’t think so. I know by definition ‘to assimilate’ is to take in (information, ideas, or culture) and understand fully. Mhm, that gets my brain warm with thought. Let’s analyze. If I assimilate to the information of South Africa, I can study-, which I do religiously every single day. If I adhere to their ideas, I believe that is a vague assertion- what type of ideas? Political? Religious? Culturally? Mmh. That I am unsure of. If I assimilate to the culture, I will be doing all of the lifestyle concepts I mentioned earlier. Technically, in my mind, I feel like I have been assimilating well. And I’m glad that I got that off my chest. Sometimes, when you walk so far to school, you get stuck on these notions that just get glued into your brain until you get work them out.

I am going to the opera tomorrow night. I’ve been waiting for this specific one to commence at Baxter Theatre, next to lower campus. It’s sung in Italian and it’s a love story- ahh, sounds perfect for a monotonous Wednesday evening. Aside from that, my concentration has been on writing paper after paper so I feel that even my blog entries are becoming more technical sounding and more academically structured. I guess education does rub off. I’m currently working on my first feature article for my Production class. That’s eating up a lot of time and research time.

Thursday we are having a braai (BBQ). Everyone has been under so much stress the past few weeks that it is much needed!
This weekend is the last weekend for shark diving. I’m there. Last weekend I went to the Assembly, a local music venue/bar. Pictures will NOT really be posted due to intense intoxication and the possible embarrassment to my parents and family and most importantly, my reputation. Heh. I clicked on my camera the next day and was informed that I bought three CDs (which I found in my purse stacked along with flyers and pamphelts on car insurance & cable TV), I danced with some kid in high school and apparently thought that I could sing like Lady GaGa. I can’t forget the huge cut on my knee from tripping out of a taxi at 4 am… (SORRY, QUIG- YOU DID TEACH ME BETTER! I’M JUST STUPID. Hey, as you read this, you know that I didn’t drink and drive and all of my fallacies, are funny and innocent.) Oh, vodka- you have taught me my inhibitions can be pushed aside for a while.

*For those of you that do not know, Quig is my mom who is most likely cringing, laughing and shaking her at this blog entry... !

All for now. More updates this weekend. Cheers!
-Mel

1 comment:

  1. Melissa
    Just wanted ya to know that some one from Ny is reading your posts and missing your crazy ways .. oxoxo Mbrand

    ReplyDelete