Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Pre-departure

Ahh, so South Africa tomorrow, aye? It seems like this day really would never get here or that I wouldn't have made it thus far. It seems obviously, that I have. For that I consider myself one of the most grateful people in the world to be flown across the world and given the opportunity to explore an entirely new culture. Nervous? YES, very... but that should soon be taken over my excitement and adapting to new surroundings and a very different lifestyle. The University of Cape Town seems like a beautiful place, I cannot wait to set my eyes on it.

The flight over on the other hand... not as intriguing. Hello dramamine.

While my last load of laundry churns in the dryer and my suitcase remains half packed, my last minute self is scurrying to find things to throw in my carry on. I am a procrastinator and I am fully aware of it. Something you pick up at college I suppose. Heh...

I couldn't have done any of this without the help of my family, who I will miss so much and will be thinking about everyday. And believe me, you guys will be getting frequent updates :)

I think I have everything I need. And this blog will be my diary for the entirety of the trip, so check in regularly! It's pretty scary going into an area with only knowledge obtained by months of research and very little personal accounts. I've gotten so many mixed reviews of my decision but I walk away confidently with the fact that it was MY decision and no one else had influence on it.

I went to the gym today to tell them I wouldn't be coming in for a while and that I needed to freeze my account for a bit. The young woman that helped me asked me why? And I said, "Oh, I'm studying abroad in Cape Town." Most people don't know where Cape Town is or if they do, they respond with, "AFRICA?? WHY THE HELL WOULD YOU WANT TO GO THERE?" And my response is always a shoulder shrug and a vocalization of, "Why not?" The puzzling look I usually receive ends the conversation pretty abruptly. But at the gym the woman was like, "I am so jealous of you, I just got back from Semester at Sea and I stayed in Cape Town for a bit-- you will have the time of your life." With the comfort of a positive response, I took the opportunity to ask her any departing advice...

"When you go to Johannesburg, hold on to your stuff- stealing is HUGE. Other than that, make friends with a lot of guys and you'll be fine! It's not what most people think, it's what America should be."

With this, I cannot judge her allegation of America being worse than South Africa--- beautiful on both ends, but I'll judge that ideal later, at least.. by next week.

That is all for now. Next post will be when I'm in Cape Town.

*Mel

2 comments:

  1. um...WHERE WAS MY PHONE CALL!!!!!!! you left me without calling... :-(

    I forgive you. lol

    I am so proud and so jealous of you. You really needed this Miss and I can't again, express how proud I am of you. You, who would say to me "there is now way I could live in New York City." Of which to my response was; "Miss if a blind person can walk the streets alone, you can too." Well hunny bunny, you ARE walking those streets now, and that, (as we say on my block) "that's whats up!"

    ReplyDelete